Saturday 12 September 2015

Cavern / Underdark Terrain Feature

Wanted to dress up the 'mines' portion of my dungeon a little, and test a terrain idea I had for 'underdark' gaming areas. Got some cheap quartz crystals and air drying modelling clay...





The quartz crystals in question, inexpensive, rough looking, and a little chipped. Perfect for what I needed...




Grabbed a few handy chunks of the modelling clay (the type you would pick up at any craft store or 'thrift' store) and pushed together a rough shape for my rock feature.




Dampened my fingers in water slightly and began to smooth out the clay a little.




Using an old scouring pad pushed some 'texture' back on to the smooth surface of the clay.




Grabbed a few of the crystals and pushed them in to the clay at random angles.




Gave the rock a coat of dark grey paint. The orange clay was still clearly visible through the bottom of the crystals at this point.



I than gave the crystals and the rock a wash of purple ink. You know, to make it look more underdark-y... This picked out the detail in the crystal nicely and made the shading in to the orange clay look a little more subtle.



Took an old wide brush and stippled on some lighter grey paint on the more visible areas to add a bit more texture back.




Test piece in the 'mines' area of my dungeon. The base still needs some love and attention but given how quick this piece was to make I think I'll churn out a few more. Might even make some larger pieces with hollowed out bases and try and fit some lights in to them so that they shine through the crystals. Will see...

No comments:

Post a Comment